background

About Me

Christ-follower, Wife, Mom, Daughter, Teacher, Sister, Aunt, Lover of Disney, Saints, Gamecocks, Random

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tis the season for King Cake and Crawfish Boils

One thing about living in south east Louisiana is that you live by fronts and seasons. When I say SEASONS I don't mean the four seasons, winter, spring, summer, and fall or the musical group. I mean Crawfish season, Shrimp season, Mardi- Gras season, Oyster Season(GROSS), Saints Football season. Each one of these season I have come to know and love, except for Oyster Season.
The season that I have been waiting for since my for induction into this Cajun world, almost this time last year. I was reluctant and hesitant about this season but now it's the season I cannot wait for. For me Mardi-Gras/Crawfish season are almost as wonderful as the Christmas season for most.
Twas the month before Mardi Gras, when all through the apartment
Not a creature was stirring, not even a nutria.
The beads and mask were hung around the apartment with care,
In hopes that Grand Marshall soon would be there.

Kris and Cocky were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of King Cake and Crawfish danced in their heads.
And Kris in his Saints pjs and I in my Carolina pjs,
Had just settled down for a long and yummy Mardi Gras Season

Their are two sad parts to the upcoming seasons. 1. DIET and 2. COLD.
1. KING CAKES are out almost in full force. If you have never had a King Cake from New Orleans/ Slidell you are missing out on one of the best things that God has ever instilled in man to make. Anything you want can be put in this slice of heaven they can do.
Now all that being said since it is so WONDERFUL it is so NOT WONDERFUL for you. Full of carbs and sugar, all the things I am trying so hard to stay away from. It's like the temptation of a lifetime. King Cakes are showing up every where and it's so hard. On top of the King Cake and it's horrible glory comes CRAWFISH!
Crawfish boils are AMAZING. These things we call MUD BUGS and use for BAIT in South Carolina have become the best Crustaceans on the EARTH. Potatoes, Corn, Sausage, Garlic, Cauliflower, MUSHROOMS, Onion, Lemon, Crab Boil, and Crawfish all in one pot boiled to perfection.
2. The fact the temperatures have reached a point here that people do not want to come out of the house. Temperatures that I don't think anyone here could have imagined in a lifetime. These BELOW freezing temps will put a longer wait for Crawfish. This makes me so very sad. These puts some less temptation on my "strive for skinny".
This is now what I am going to call my diet. Diet such an ugly word, I think I like "Strive for Skinny". My "Strive for Skinny" is actually going very well with doing at least an hour of working out 3-5 days a week and eating green things and fish. It's going to be hard with my two favorite season just around the corner. I will have to say there is a bag of chocolate on our table that I HAVE NOT TOUCHED. I know for those of you who know me you may now breathe. My strive for skinny has now over taken my love for chocolate. Mom and Dad I hope you are proud and Bon-Bon and Mr. Billy :-)!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed, this is very good writing. I expect nothing less from you guys, but nice, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessi,
    I love the blog! Believe me I LOVE kingcake and I will eat some for Tabs wedding!!! Love yall!

    ReplyDelete